Anciant Greeks and Roman
(published 2/5/2021)
I always think of the Ancient Greeks as grate thinkers and the Romans as orders. If an Ancient Greek had a library, they would fill it and if a Romans had one they would collate it.
The Ancient Greeks and the Romans lived in different times, with a short overlap. The Greeks had their own smaller empire, which surrounded the Aegean sea (the see at the top of modern day Greece). Which the Romans, kindly, helped to destroy. The romans began in what we would now call Italy. Then spread vastly covering a large chunk of Europe, as well as a bit of Africa and Asia.
The Romans invented, 'borrowed' and shared lots of ideas. They used aqueducts to settle on land which would have otherwise been inhabitable. They are credited with inventing concrete. Unfortunately this knowledge was lost during the dark ages. They also created baths, an invention which gave a British city its name.
The Romans were heavily inspired by the Ancient Grecian Architecture. Temples and administrative buildings in the city of Rome are obvious copies with a few proportional differences.
Both parties also loved Orders. Orders are essentially coulombs with rules. The first set of rules are about proportion of the column base with regard to the rest of its features. The second set looks at the columns characteristics.
Influence from the both ages can be seen in
a range of architectural movements. From neoclassicism to modernists.
![]() |
| (Traced and drawn from illustration in The Classical Language of Architecture by j.summerson) |
Final Notes
I did a lot of reaserch, on writing, between this and my last post.
I have found that the following formula works really well:
Watch lecture
Brainstorm key points of lecture.
Reaserch
Freewrite about each point of the lecture
Write out free writing clearly.
Publish
During this time I sketched and traced different things. I think that the next subject will see my drawings work better with the written work.
I'm just hoping that the next article will be less exsorsting.
I'm very glad I have had the opportunity to improve my writing through the blog.
Bibliography
Ching, Francis D K, et al. A Global History of Architecture. Hoboken, New Jersey, Wiley, 2017.
Summerson, John. The Classical Language of Architecture. London, Thames & Hudson, 2006.
Watkin, David. A History of Western Architecture. London, Laurence King Publishing, 2015, pp. 15–53.
National Geographic. “Ancient Greece 101 | National Geographic.” YouTube, 22 Apr. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDrYTXQLu8.
Arzamas. “Ancient Greece in 18 Minutes.” YouTube, 30 May 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRxmi4uCGo&t=16s. Accessed 11 Feb. 2021.
Arzamas. “Ancient Rome in 20 Minutes.” YouTube, 30 May 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZXl-V4qwY.
ADAMarchitecture. “Drawing the Five Orders by George Saumarez Smith.” YouTube, 5 May 2020, www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHUbqzyNXU. Accessed 11 Feb. 2021.
Loth, Calder. “The Foundations of Classical Architecture: Roman Classicism.” Institute of Classical Architecture and Art, 2 May 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuywxqijBU. Accessed 28 Apr. 2020.
Magee, Bryan. The Story of Philosophy. London, Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2016, p.
Magee, Bryan. The Story of Philosophy. London, Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2016, p.



Comments
Post a Comment